Skip to main content

Nintendo Direct 18th June Review


I always get a little bit giddy whenever Nintendo say they have a direct coming and then I try to temper my expectations. As someone who has been hurt too many times, I try to not build my hopes up. Well it turns out for this direct...I didn't build my hopes up enough! I will go through everything that was announced in the Nintendo Direct and then give my overall impression, but it is fair to say I left this direct feeling very positive about being a Nintendo fan!

Here are the 5 announcements that I am most excited about and why:


Mario and Luigi: Brothership (7th November)

This game is the next installment in the Mario and Luigi RPG franchise and I could not be more excited for it! It seems like Switch is becoming the MArio RPG system! With remakes of Super Mario RPG and Thousand year door being released over the course of the last few months, I am ready for a brand new, ground up Mario and Luigi RPG and this game looks stunning!


MIO: Memories in Orbit (2025)

This was my surprise of the show! When it opened with what looked like a weird looking creature being born out of a bunch of cables I thought - 'WTF is this!?' Then when we saw the gameplay I was like 'I am in!'. The gameplay looks fast and fluid, the esoundtrack is epic and this was easily the best looking game in the showcase. I love it when games like this come along and and slap me in the face to get my attention. 

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD (16th January 2025)

I love the Donkey Kong games and honestly wish there were more! I played the hell out of Donkey Kong Country on my original gameboy and I have played and enjoyed all of the Donkey Kong games! Although Tropical Freeze is one of the only games that has caused me to rage quit! I hope Donkey Kong Country Returns on Switch is a way of them testing the waters for a new entry into the franchise on Switch 2. If you didnt play this game on Wii or on 3DS then I would highly recommend getting this remake!

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (26th September)

Finally a Zelda game where you are Zelda! Fans have been asking for this for years and honestly this game looks like it is worth the wait. It is the same art style as Link's Awakening which I think is one of my favourite Zelda art styles! I am one of those people who actually prefer the top down Zelda's so I let out an audible gasp when I saw this. Zelda also looks like she plays different to Link, using her magic to summon different objects. The power she has is called 'echoes' and you can create echoes of objects you find around Hyrule and even echoes of monsters who will fight beside you! This mechanic seems like it will reward outside of the box thinking and I can imagine there will be a lot of interesting puzzles. Personally...this was my game of the showcase.

Metroid Prime 4: Beyond (2025)

FINALLY! Every. Single. Nintendo Direct for the past 7 years I have said "maybe this time we will see Metroid Prime 4!" and the first time I don't say that, Nintendo decide to show it! I don't want to get my hopes up...but I cant help it - this looks like everything we want this game to be! The graphics look incredible and the gameplay almost seems to give off a Halo vibe! I think it is a very reasonable assumption that this will be the launch title of the Switch 2. 

Here are the other announcements, I am actually excited about most of these as well:

Super Mario Party Jamboree (17th October 2024)

Nintendo World Championship NES Edition (18th July 2024)

Looney Tunes: Wacky World of Sports

The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past and Four Swords, Metroid: Zero Mission, Perfect Dark, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter are being added to Nintendo Switch online TODAY!

Marvel Vs Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics (2024)

Nintendo Switch Sports is Adding Basketball (Summer 2024)

Funko Fusion (13th September 2024)

Tales of the Shire (Holiday 2024)

Hello Kitty Island Adventure (2025)

Disney's illusion Island Mystery in Monoth Expansion out TODAY

Stray (Holiday 2024)

Just Dance 2025 (October 2024)

Fantasian (Holiday 2024)

Darkest Dungeon 2 (July 15th)

New Crew mate and Imposter Roles added to Among Us TODAY

Dragon Quest 1,2 and 3 HD 2D Remake (2025)

Lego Horizon (Holiday 2024)

My genuine only criticism of the Direct was that Nintendo stated that this Direct would focus on games coming out in 2024 and yet there was a lot for 2025. However, I am glad they showed everything they did and it made for a an awesome presentation on par with the Xbox Showcase earlier this month. Everything I predicted for this presentation was wrong, and I am so glad, because their announcements were far better than my safe, boring predictions. The reason this is a great showcase was because it was well paced and knew what people would be excited for. It showed just enough of every game to satisfy fans without boring people who are not interested in that particular game. The amount of presentations I watch where they spend way too long on a game I couldn't care less about and then the momentum is lost. Nintendo knows it has a spectrum of different fans and provided a showcase with something for everyone.

10 out of 10!

Why not support me financially since I suck at supporting myself! Donate here 


Want me to draw something for you? Get in touch on Instagram


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Kyle Banks: Developer Of Upcoming Game 'Farewell North'

'Farewell North' is an upcoming indie title from Kyle Banks and 'Mooneye Studio'. I am particularly excited about it because it is about two things I love - Scotland and dogs! I was lucky enough to get an interview with Kyle about the game and the studio. But first, here is a quick description of 'Farewell North': 'Restore color to the desolate islands of Farewell North, an open world journey where you play as a border collie on an adventure with his owner through the Scottish Highlands. Explore land and sea, solve puzzles to reveal hidden paths, evade monsters, and free wildlife to bring color back to the world, all while revealing an emotional story about saying farewell. Farewell North is about a woman on a personal journey deep in the Scottish highlands with her border collie, the player character. Dealing with a declining mental state and the emotions of a tragic loss, all color has left her world and it's up to you to bring it back as you aid her o

Farewell North Review

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox, Mac Release Date: 16th August 2024  Farewell North is a masterclass in storytelling by developer  Kyle Banks that takes you on a physical and emotional journey through the remote islands of northern Scotland. In Farewell North you play as a border collie called Chesley as you help your human through grief and support them as they try to move forward with their life. The game really nails the feeling of being a dog. Not that I have ever been a dog, but you know what I mean! You are encouraged to explore, dig, and chase wildlife to help your human companion on their journey. I particularly liked a mechanic where in certain areas a path may be blocked, so you have to look at it through the gap between two trees to unblock the way. It is almost like this game explains all the bizarre behavior that dogs have, and made me see things from a dog's eye view!  There were a few moments in which you had to herd sheep and these sections I did find a l

Crow Country Review

Platforms: PS4/5, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft  When playing a specific section of Alan Wake II earlier this year I said to myself 'not enough horror games are set at an abandoned theme park.' Indie developer SFB games read my mind and said "don't worry dude, we got you!". Take the eerie sounds of Silent Hill, the resource management and puzzles of Resident Evil and the sprite design of the original final fantasy VII and you have yourself  'Crow Country'. Crow Country is a survival horror, PS1 looking, game that even includes tank controls and overly difficult aiming! It is exactly what I want from a survival horror and the game left me nostalgic and pining for more games like this. Now, don't worry there is an option to use modern controls, so don't let that put you off, I am just a crazy person and wanted to feel the frustration I felt all those years ago playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time! Exploring this game is an absolute treat! It is so