Skip to main content

Farewell North Review


Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox, Mac

Release Date: 16th August 2024

 Farewell North is a masterclass in storytelling by developer Kyle Banks that takes you on a physical and emotional journey through the remote islands of northern Scotland. In Farewell North you play as a border collie called Chesley as you help your human through grief and support them as they try to move forward with their life.

The game really nails the feeling of being a dog. Not that I have ever been a dog, but you know what I mean! You are encouraged to explore, dig, and chase wildlife to help your human companion on their journey. I particularly liked a mechanic where in certain areas a path may be blocked, so you have to look at it through the gap between two trees to unblock the way. It is almost like this game explains all the bizarre behavior that dogs have, and made me see things from a dog's eye view! 


There were a few moments in which you had to herd sheep and these sections I did find a little frustrating. I have personally always found herding animals tedious in games, ever since Red Dead Redemption back in 2010. I do understand why herding sheep is key to a game about a border collie and it made sense within the context of the story, I just personally think shepherding is not my forte. There are also sections of the game where you control a kayak. At first I found these frustrating, but once I got used to the rhythm of paddling I actually really enjoyed these sections.

Related Article: 10 Reasons To Be Excited For August

I was invested in every bit of dialogue. This may sound like an odd comparison but it kind of reminded me of God of War. There are sections of God of War where you are sailing around listening to conversations between Kratos and Atreus and I would often find myself not wanting to get off the boat because I wanted to hear the end of what was being said. This was very similar, I wanted to hear every single bit of dialogue throughout this game because I was so curious and invested in the story.


The visual storytelling is where Farewell North really shines! It strikes the perfect balance between showing and telling. There are moments in the game where your human will become overwhelmed with grief and stay frozen in one place. During these sections, we see a dark barrier surround them along with giant shadows of crying people. Your job as her companion is to break through the darkness and help them move forward, which anyone with a pet will really relate to.

Also, the sections I adored were when the environment around you would morph into a different location to show a memory. For instance, there is a section where one of the islands starts to form into a bustling street and the way it is done is so clever and immersive that I really became invested in Chesley's story.

Related Article: Thank Goodness You're Here Review


This is a game you need to play with the audio on because the music in particular is truly beautiful. I welled up at the end of this game and that was partly because of the story, but mainly it was the music that really hit me. John Konsolakis has composed a masterpiece and the traditional Scottish feel of the soundtrack really immerses you in the beauty that is the Highlands. 

Folk singer Siobhan Miller performs a beautiful rendition of the song 'My Heart's in The Highlands' that, again, had me welling up. Johan Ross is the voice of the main human character, Cailey, and she does a wonderful job, especially since this is her first time voice acting!

Related Article: Why Is Cozy Gaming So Popular Now?

Overall I really do recommend picking up and playing Farewell North if you are a fan of unique storytelling and beautiful music/art. There are also collectibles so there is definite replay value. There are some moments in the game where the mechanics can be a little frustrating and I did get lost a handful of times. But these were minor blips on an otherwise flawless game. The story of Farewell North will stay with me for a very long time (particularly the ending). 

8/10

Read my interview with developer Kyle Banks here

Join the Discord Here

Like what you see? Why not support me financially? Donate Here

Want me to draw something for you? Get in touch on Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Kyle Banks: Developer Of Upcoming Game 'Farewell North'

'Farewell North' is an upcoming indie title from Kyle Banks and 'Mooneye Studio'. I am particularly excited about it because it is about two things I love - Scotland and dogs! I was lucky enough to get an interview with Kyle about the game and the studio. But first, here is a quick description of 'Farewell North': 'Restore color to the desolate islands of Farewell North, an open world journey where you play as a border collie on an adventure with his owner through the Scottish Highlands. Explore land and sea, solve puzzles to reveal hidden paths, evade monsters, and free wildlife to bring color back to the world, all while revealing an emotional story about saying farewell. Farewell North is about a woman on a personal journey deep in the Scottish highlands with her border collie, the player character. Dealing with a declining mental state and the emotions of a tragic loss, all color has left her world and it's up to you to bring it back as you aid her o

Crow Country Review

Platforms: PS4/5, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft  When playing a specific section of Alan Wake II earlier this year I said to myself 'not enough horror games are set at an abandoned theme park.' Indie developer SFB games read my mind and said "don't worry dude, we got you!". Take the eerie sounds of Silent Hill, the resource management and puzzles of Resident Evil and the sprite design of the original final fantasy VII and you have yourself  'Crow Country'. Crow Country is a survival horror, PS1 looking, game that even includes tank controls and overly difficult aiming! It is exactly what I want from a survival horror and the game left me nostalgic and pining for more games like this. Now, don't worry there is an option to use modern controls, so don't let that put you off, I am just a crazy person and wanted to feel the frustration I felt all those years ago playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time! Exploring this game is an absolute treat! It is so