Skip to main content

'Thank Goodness You're Here' Review


Eeh Bah Gum, I'm well chuffed! Thank Goodness Thank Goodness You're Here, is here! It's reet grand! If you struggled to read that, then get used to it because this game is apologetically Yorkshire and I absolutely love it! This is the most I have laughed whilst playing a video game since South Park: The Fractured But Whole! Although it only takes around 2 hours to complete, Coal Supper packs a lot of laughs and a lot of surprisingly beautiful animation into your short visit to the town of Barnsworth.

So the 'plot' (to use that term incredibly loosely) is that you play as a traveling salesman who just arrived at the northern town of Barnsworth. The locals will ask you to do various different tasks for them, which normally involves slapping everything and everyone in sight! The actual stories come from watching the locals as they go about their weird and wonderful lives in this fever dream of a town! Throughout the game you basically go around Barnsworth on a loop, passing the same locations multiple times. Each time you pass through the loop though, there is so much environmental storytelling happening and you can see visual gags that keep ramping up each time. For instance, the first time you pass through the town, you see a toast-loving man grilling bread on the BBQ. The second time the bread is burnt, the next time the entire BBQ is on fire, and then the final time it is just a charred mess. Or the old lady who draws a face on a giant sausage with a marker pen and thinks it is a dog. Then each time you pass through the sausage becomes more and more dog-like, until in the end when it is just a weird hairless dog.


Coal Supper
are unapologetic with their unique sense of humor, and I love how much they commit to what they find funny. I grew up in Yorkshire myself and the characters in the town of Barnsworth made me laugh so hard because they are such accurate caricatures of people you would meet in a small Yorkshire village. For instance, there is a lady who is gardening and passionately hates snails. I literally had a neighbor many years ago, in Yorkshire, who was exactly the same and would often patrol her garden with a kitchen knife at 3am murdering slugs and snails to save her lettuces...we are proper insane 'us Yorkshire folk' and Coal Supper has exposed are insanity to the world! Also, there is A LOT of sexual innuendo and a few gross-out moments, so if you are a sensible, well-adjusted person, don't play it...but if you are as immature as I am, you will love it! 


The writing is where much of the humour comes from but the animation is what really elevates this game. Every single character looks funny and moves funny. The salesman you play as, for some unexplained reason, randomly changes sizes. This allows for sections where you are the size of a worm on the end of a fishing hook, or (easily the most disturbing part of the game) when you go inside a piece of ham and meet various different 'meat-based' characters - truly it was funny but I am definitely having nightmares tonight! The game is weirdly beautiful and lovingly animated and reminds me of the care and attention you would see in classic Looney Tunes.

The voice acting is great! Matt Berry lends his very unique voice to one character in the game but the entire cast of characters is acted perfectly. Walking up to random people and repeatedly slapping them to hear their response never gets old and I would get excited each time I passed through the village to see what weird things these bizarre characters would say this time! 


The gameplay is described by Coal Supper as a 'slapformer' - basically you walk around slapping people and things. However, there are several moments where there are fun mini-games introduced that change things up nicely. The only real criticism I would give this game is that there really is not much of a challenge. I never really found myself having to think my way around anything, or being challenged as a gamer. But, on the other hand, I know that pacing is key with comedy so I imagine it is important to keep things moving forward nicely to allow the humour to hit better. It was more of a cartoon that you actively moved through rather than a 'video game' in the traditional sense.

Overall I think that Thank Goodness You're Here is a really fun time and left me wanting more games in the comedy genre! It is hilariously written and performed and the animation is lovingly crafted. I won't spoil the end, but the final sequence had me uncontrollably laughing. If you have a friend over and you want something that will make you both laugh for a couple of hours, get this game! I played through it in one 2 hour sitting and I would recommend it as the best way to play.

I give Thank Goodness You're Here a 9/10 

Join the Discord Here

Like what you see? Why not support me financially? Donate Here

Want me to draw something for you? Get in touch on Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Kyle Banks: Developer Of Upcoming Game 'Farewell North'

'Farewell North' is an upcoming indie title from Kyle Banks and 'Mooneye Studio'. I am particularly excited about it because it is about two things I love - Scotland and dogs! I was lucky enough to get an interview with Kyle about the game and the studio. But first, here is a quick description of 'Farewell North': 'Restore color to the desolate islands of Farewell North, an open world journey where you play as a border collie on an adventure with his owner through the Scottish Highlands. Explore land and sea, solve puzzles to reveal hidden paths, evade monsters, and free wildlife to bring color back to the world, all while revealing an emotional story about saying farewell. Farewell North is about a woman on a personal journey deep in the Scottish highlands with her border collie, the player character. Dealing with a declining mental state and the emotions of a tragic loss, all color has left her world and it's up to you to bring it back as you aid her o

Farewell North Review

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox, Mac Release Date: 16th August 2024  Farewell North is a masterclass in storytelling by developer  Kyle Banks that takes you on a physical and emotional journey through the remote islands of northern Scotland. In Farewell North you play as a border collie called Chesley as you help your human through grief and support them as they try to move forward with their life. The game really nails the feeling of being a dog. Not that I have ever been a dog, but you know what I mean! You are encouraged to explore, dig, and chase wildlife to help your human companion on their journey. I particularly liked a mechanic where in certain areas a path may be blocked, so you have to look at it through the gap between two trees to unblock the way. It is almost like this game explains all the bizarre behavior that dogs have, and made me see things from a dog's eye view!  There were a few moments in which you had to herd sheep and these sections I did find a l

Crow Country Review

Platforms: PS4/5, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft  When playing a specific section of Alan Wake II earlier this year I said to myself 'not enough horror games are set at an abandoned theme park.' Indie developer SFB games read my mind and said "don't worry dude, we got you!". Take the eerie sounds of Silent Hill, the resource management and puzzles of Resident Evil and the sprite design of the original final fantasy VII and you have yourself  'Crow Country'. Crow Country is a survival horror, PS1 looking, game that even includes tank controls and overly difficult aiming! It is exactly what I want from a survival horror and the game left me nostalgic and pining for more games like this. Now, don't worry there is an option to use modern controls, so don't let that put you off, I am just a crazy person and wanted to feel the frustration I felt all those years ago playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time! Exploring this game is an absolute treat! It is so