Skip to main content

'Video Games Music In Concert' Review

Over the weekend I went to see Video Games in Concert at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. I was telling a friend of a friend about this and they said "Video game music? What, so like the Pac-Man theme?" I gave my friend the why are you friends with this person look. But it did raise an interesting point. As gamers we are exposed to so many beautiful art forms that are overlooked by so many people. Video games now are a masterclass collection of artwork, writing, acting, animation and music that so many people miss out on. Seeing a full orchestra, accompanied by a wonderful choir, in a beautiful venue, was so refreshing. Video game music is finally being given the reverence and respect it deserves.

Walking into the venue I noticed something that really stood out. The audience was such a wide mixture of ages. I think I expected a load of people in their 20's with God of War t-shirts drinking red bulls. Those people were there, but also there were parents and grandparents bringing their younger family members. Along with groups of people who have probably never even played a game, but just love beautiful, well written orchestral music. This was an event where everyone was welcome, and everyone came together to appreciate video game music not just as soundtracks from their favourite games; but as intricate and moving works of art in their own right. Eìmear Noone says it best in her program notes "Every time a new title is released, with a new genre-bending magical score to accompany it, I see more clearly a world where this miraculous, singular art form is given the credit it deserves.' And Eìmear, the RSNO and the choir certainly proved that to be true!

Here is a little context for Eímear if you are not familiar with her or her work. Eimear Noone has composed and conducted work in 26 film and video game titles. These include Overwatch, Hearthstone, Diablo, Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty and World of Warcraft. She also toured as a conductor with The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses and made history in 2020 by becoming the first female conductor to perform at the Academy Awards ceremony. She is also the presenter for Classic FM's gaming music show, High Score (which I had no idea existed but I am definitively going to listen every week because that sounds like a great show and the title is a phenomenal pun!). There are so many more achievements that I have not listed here, but you get the point - we were very lucky to have her in Glasgow!

From the moment she walked on stage Eímear conducted the crowd as expertly as she conducted the orchestra. She told jokes, anocdotes and talked so passionatley about the games and their music. She told the audience that this is 'their music' and to treat the night like they are watching their favourite band and followed that by saying "if you like something, let us know!". Giving the audience permission to ignore the pomp and circumstance and instead cheer and celebrate each song, turning the evening into a true celebration of video game music, with people cheering and clapping whenever a piece of music was played that they loved. 

Eímear conducted the orchestra with passion and love and this was then reciprocated by a group of musicians who shared that passion and love for the scores they were playing. Also I cannot speak highly enough of the choir. This choir was made up of the RSNO Youth Chorus and Changed Voices. The Youth Chorus were children aged 7 to 18, who were truly spectacular. Not only was the choral singing beautiful and moving, but the soloists were so amazing that I thought the audience would never stop clapping and cheering after their performances. Also Changed Voices sounded incredible, particularly on the 'Halo Trilogy', blasting out that iconic monk chanting! Changed Voices are a group aimed at helping young boys whose voices are changing maintain healthy singing techniques, which I think is so important.

The set list had such a wide mixture of genres that there was something there for every video game fan. From the intense, adrenaline pumping score of Hades to an orchestral version of the Pokemon Theme! I will include the set list below so you can see just how fantastic the range of music was:

Some stand out moments for me where Uncharted II, Halo and Nintendo: Reimagined. But the best piece of music for me was the 'Celtic Link: Orchestral Fantasy'. This was a medley of Zelda music that Eímear felt had a real Celtic feel to it. The reason this was my favourite part is that my favourite game of all time is The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker and it holds such a special place in my heart. I remember playing it for the first time on my Gamecube 20 years ago and feeling a sense of adventure that is indescribable and causes me to well up when ever I hear any of the music from that game. When the Windwaker theme started playing I was transported back to the sense of wonder that I haven't felt in two decades! The great thing about the set list is that everyone had those moments at different points in the night depending on what generation they were from and what genre spoke to them. There was music from games I have not played and hearing their score actually encouraged me to try them out.

The whole concert ended with a very long and passionate standing ovation that shook the walls of the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall and lasted several minutes! Every single person in that venue regardless of age, social background, gender, ethnicity had just had a moving, unforgettable experience of expertly written music passionately performed. The show united people and at the end of the day that is what video games are about, bringing people together to share what they love.

Let me know your favourite piece of video game music, or if you came along to the concert let me know your favourite moments in the comments below! 


Why not support me financially since I suck at supporting myself! Donate here 


Want me to draw something for you? Get in touch on Instagram



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Kyle Banks: Developer Of Upcoming Game 'Farewell North'

'Farewell North' is an upcoming indie title from Kyle Banks and 'Mooneye Studio'. I am particularly excited about it because it is about two things I love - Scotland and dogs! I was lucky enough to get an interview with Kyle about the game and the studio. But first, here is a quick description of 'Farewell North': 'Restore color to the desolate islands of Farewell North, an open world journey where you play as a border collie on an adventure with his owner through the Scottish Highlands. Explore land and sea, solve puzzles to reveal hidden paths, evade monsters, and free wildlife to bring color back to the world, all while revealing an emotional story about saying farewell. Farewell North is about a woman on a personal journey deep in the Scottish highlands with her border collie, the player character. Dealing with a declining mental state and the emotions of a tragic loss, all color has left her world and it's up to you to bring it back as you aid her o

Farewell North Review

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox, Mac Release Date: 16th August 2024  Farewell North is a masterclass in storytelling by developer  Kyle Banks that takes you on a physical and emotional journey through the remote islands of northern Scotland. In Farewell North you play as a border collie called Chesley as you help your human through grief and support them as they try to move forward with their life. The game really nails the feeling of being a dog. Not that I have ever been a dog, but you know what I mean! You are encouraged to explore, dig, and chase wildlife to help your human companion on their journey. I particularly liked a mechanic where in certain areas a path may be blocked, so you have to look at it through the gap between two trees to unblock the way. It is almost like this game explains all the bizarre behavior that dogs have, and made me see things from a dog's eye view!  There were a few moments in which you had to herd sheep and these sections I did find a l

Crow Country Review

Platforms: PS4/5, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft  When playing a specific section of Alan Wake II earlier this year I said to myself 'not enough horror games are set at an abandoned theme park.' Indie developer SFB games read my mind and said "don't worry dude, we got you!". Take the eerie sounds of Silent Hill, the resource management and puzzles of Resident Evil and the sprite design of the original final fantasy VII and you have yourself  'Crow Country'. Crow Country is a survival horror, PS1 looking, game that even includes tank controls and overly difficult aiming! It is exactly what I want from a survival horror and the game left me nostalgic and pining for more games like this. Now, don't worry there is an option to use modern controls, so don't let that put you off, I am just a crazy person and wanted to feel the frustration I felt all those years ago playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time! Exploring this game is an absolute treat! It is so