Skip to main content

Is It Now Socially Accepted That Most People Are Gamers?

Yesterday I was at the supermarket (buying my weekly diet of Oreos and action figures aimed at children) wearing my Cuphead T-Shirt and minding my own business when I heard a voice say "that game is an absolute classic!" I turned around to see who this wise person was and it was an older gentleman with his grand kids, pointing at my shirt. I realised in that moment 2 things: video games are played by more people than we think...and I am getting old. We all have the stereotype of the 'gamer' in our heads, but perhaps the secret is out, perhaps everyone has realised what a wonderful and diverse art form video gaming is and if we love it...we have to let it go free!

When I was a young innocent gamer on the bus with my lime green Gameboy Color I always felt a little self conscious, I would even hide my Gameboy if I saw some cooler kids get on the bus. Fast forward 20 years and I was sat on a train last week playing my Nintendo Switch and a man in a suit (aka a grown up cooler kid) got on the train and sat opposite me. I went to hide my Switch but to my surprise he pulled out a Nintendo Switch of his own and started playing. I was in shock. People are just out here playing video games openly without any shame! When other adults ask my hobbies, I am always apprehensive to say gaming, even though that is like, my main hobby! Am I now the prejudice one? Have I carried my own video game related childhood trauma into my adult life and developed it into an unhealthy shame that no one else feels? I needed to know...are video games now just a part of normal people's lives!?

I did a little research and found that the number of gamers globally has increased by well over a billion people in the last 10 years. Also the age range of gamers is much wider and there are more female and NB gamers. This was partly due to the fact that mobile phones became a gateway drug into video games. The amount of times I have seen a professional looking person tapping away on their phone and assumed they are writing an important email, but then glanced down to see they are actually playing Candy Crush! Video games became something anyone could do, without needing a big colourful looking console that told everyone on the bus 'hey, I'm a gamer!' Even my partners 95 year old grandma plays Candy Crush on her phone! Remember the urban legend that Gunpei Yokoi got the idea for Game & Watch while watching a bored businessman playing with a calculator on the bullet train? If that was true than perhaps we should've accepted earlier that gaming was not just a thing nerdy children did, but it was made for adults too, and should be enjoyed by everyone!


I recently attended an event called 'Video Games Music in Concert' (read my review here) and what stood out to me was the variety of people there! I was expecting the entire audience to look like me, but instead there was a wide range of people of all ages and backgrounds! I absolutely loved the event because everyone was openly celebrating gaming! The love of gaming has built even more recently with the introduction of legitimately good TV adaptations of video games. After watching HBO's The Last of Us and Amazon's Fallout series, my dad started asking me about the games they are based on, and I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that he bought a PS5 just to see what happens in The Last of Us 2

I think my generation (millennials) have done one thing right, which is embrace what made us happy as a child and find ways to continue to find joy in them into our adult lives. That is why we are getting great video game adaptations, because the people who played games growing up have retained their passion and are now the people making the movies. Instead of some fat cat business man in the 80s with a huge cigar saying "We should make a Mario movie...it'll make so much money", we now have people like me...geeks who are passionate about gaming and treat the characters and stories with the love and attention they deserve. 

Video games are everywhere and it is more than accepted to love them! So next time I get on a bus I am going to play my Nintendo Switch with pride. Or when I am asked by another adult "what did you do this weekend?" I am going to puff out my chest and proudly say "sat in my underwear eating dry cereal out the box and playing video games!" And I encourage you all to do the same. Be a gamer! Wear it with pride and rub all your nerdy-ness in everyone's faces, because it'll encourage more people to openly be who they really are - nerdy ass gamers!

Join the Discord Here

Like what you see? Why not support me financially? Donate Here

Want me to draw something for you? Get in touch on Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Kyle Banks: Developer Of Upcoming Game 'Farewell North'

'Farewell North' is an upcoming indie title from Kyle Banks and 'Mooneye Studio'. I am particularly excited about it because it is about two things I love - Scotland and dogs! I was lucky enough to get an interview with Kyle about the game and the studio. But first, here is a quick description of 'Farewell North': 'Restore color to the desolate islands of Farewell North, an open world journey where you play as a border collie on an adventure with his owner through the Scottish Highlands. Explore land and sea, solve puzzles to reveal hidden paths, evade monsters, and free wildlife to bring color back to the world, all while revealing an emotional story about saying farewell. Farewell North is about a woman on a personal journey deep in the Scottish highlands with her border collie, the player character. Dealing with a declining mental state and the emotions of a tragic loss, all color has left her world and it's up to you to bring it back as you aid her o

Farewell North Review

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Windows, Xbox, Mac Release Date: 16th August 2024  Farewell North is a masterclass in storytelling by developer  Kyle Banks that takes you on a physical and emotional journey through the remote islands of northern Scotland. In Farewell North you play as a border collie called Chesley as you help your human through grief and support them as they try to move forward with their life. The game really nails the feeling of being a dog. Not that I have ever been a dog, but you know what I mean! You are encouraged to explore, dig, and chase wildlife to help your human companion on their journey. I particularly liked a mechanic where in certain areas a path may be blocked, so you have to look at it through the gap between two trees to unblock the way. It is almost like this game explains all the bizarre behavior that dogs have, and made me see things from a dog's eye view!  There were a few moments in which you had to herd sheep and these sections I did find a l

Crow Country Review

Platforms: PS4/5, Xbox Series S/X, Microsoft  When playing a specific section of Alan Wake II earlier this year I said to myself 'not enough horror games are set at an abandoned theme park.' Indie developer SFB games read my mind and said "don't worry dude, we got you!". Take the eerie sounds of Silent Hill, the resource management and puzzles of Resident Evil and the sprite design of the original final fantasy VII and you have yourself  'Crow Country'. Crow Country is a survival horror, PS1 looking, game that even includes tank controls and overly difficult aiming! It is exactly what I want from a survival horror and the game left me nostalgic and pining for more games like this. Now, don't worry there is an option to use modern controls, so don't let that put you off, I am just a crazy person and wanted to feel the frustration I felt all those years ago playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time! Exploring this game is an absolute treat! It is so